Dr. Dave’s™ Feel Good Basics
Dr. Dave’s™ Information for Everyday Wellness, Fitness and Weight Loss Through Nutrition
Let’s do some simple math!
- 3500 excess calories equals a pound of body fat
- 365 days a year
- 100 excess pounds of body fat
Why is it so hard to lose weight?
- We are neurologically and biochemically designed to be efficient with energy conservation and fat storage.
- Environmental influences.
- Eating disorders.
Today’s enemies to successful weight loss:
- Dieting! Yes, that’s right, dieting!
- Stress/sleep deprivation.
- Wolves in lamb clothing (junk food billed as healthier options).
- The Diet Du Jour rollercoaster.
- Longer work hours.
- More family commitments.
The hurdles to maintaining health while we age:
- Lean muscle mass decreases (after age 25, approx. 3-5% every 10 years).
- BMR (Basal Metabolic rate) decreases.
- Hormonal fluctuations/decline.
- Lack of interest to cook.
- Poor eating habits.
- Life stressors.
Maybe Mom was really right!
- Eat your veggies.
- No soda.
- No desert until you finish your dinner.
- Candy is no good for you.
- Eat a balanced meal.
- Sit down, relax and please chew your food.
Why is exercise so important?
- Increase lean muscle mass (every pound of additional lean skeletal muscle mass burns approx. 50 calories per day).
- Increase bone density.
- Increase BMR rate (Muscle approx. 6 times higher than fat).
- Burn calories.
- Increase endorphins.
- Flush toxins.
- Remodel physique.
- Helps achieve results.
- Increases stamina.
Health, fitness and weight loss is really pretty easy!
Calories really do count.
Lean protein sources.
Low glycemic foods.
Don’t skip any meals (Eat 4-5 smaller meals/day).
Freshly prepared foods.
Weight resistance exercise.
Don’t rely on the scale (Body composition more useful).
Education, formalized approach.
- Sugar free foods.
- Fat free foods.
- Low carb foods.
- Health foods.
- Diet foods.
- Heart Healthy.
- No trans fats.