What is detoxification? Detoxification is a general term that covers a variety of methods designed to cleanse the body’s internal systems and organs. The four most common types of toxins that negatively affect the human body are heavy metals, chemicals, microbial/bacterial organisms, and by-products from protein metabolism (ammonia, urea and uric acid). By removing these toxic substances through detoxification therapy the body is cleansed, resulting in clearer skin, enhancement of the senses, easier weight loss, improved fertility, improved flexibility and range of movement, increased vitamin and mineral absorption and assimilation, purified blood, reduces symptoms of inflammation, rejuvenated organs, and slowing of aging.
There is no question that we live in toxic world. The air we breathe, water we drink and the food we eat (including both plants & animals and especially our commercially manufactured food supply) are contaminated with pollutants and synthetic chemicals to the extent that everyone is carrying a “body burden” of toxic substances in their blood, kidneys, lungs, lymph nodes, fatty tissues, even mother’s milk and semen are contaminated. This burden of toxins accumulates throughout our lives and seriously compromises many people’s health.
Even though the human body is normally effective in eliminating toxic by-products through the natural metabolic processes, our detoxification system is rendered ineffective in coping properly, mostly due to our modern day diet and lifestyle. Also contributing to this ineffectiveness are the “body burdens” created from our all too frequent and excessive consumption of fast foods, processed carbohydrates, saturated and trans-fats, stimulants like caffeine & tobacco, suppressants like alcohol and medications (both prescription and non-prescription).
Detoxification Therapies focus on strengthening and/or supporting the natural processes of elimination and the following are offered by Dr. David A. Gentile and Oasis Integrative Medicine for chronic and acute exposure to toxins in our Foods, Environment, Workplace, Smoking, Drinking, Medications, Chemotherapy, Pesticides, Chemicals, and for World Trade Center First Responders:
- Food Plans – In addition to eliminating those foods that are harmful, you can add foods that are helpful and assist the natural processes of elimination and detoxification which can help you to lose weight fast.
- Lifestyle Modification – In addition to including an exercise program in your daily activities you’ll learn how to modify attitudes, cognitions, emotions, and establish goals, and positive behaviors.
- IV Therapies – Using a complete spectrum of vitamins and minerals for major detoxification, these therapies also boost our immune function. When given by IV, a much more dramatic therapeutic effect can be achieved than if taken orally.
- Nutraceuticals – A term derived from combining the words nutrition and pharmaceutical. Generally these are products occurring in nature that are purified and developed into medicinal forms that are meant to improve both chronic and acute conditions, in addition to enhancing and supplementing a variety of metabolic functions.
- Infrared Sauna – An infrared sauna session provides all of the health benefits of exposure to natural sunlight without any of the dangerous effects to your skin. Plus, infrared saunas provide the body with a natural way of eliminating toxins.