Almond flour has become one of the most popular grain-free, Paleo, Keto, low glycemic and low-carb baking ingredients, and is a fabulous alternative to flour, whether you’re watching carbs or not. With the gluten-free trend on the rise, it is no wonder that there are an overwhelming variety of flours to choose from.
Almond flour is my favorite because it is much higher in healthy fats and protein than other flours and is delicious!
My wife Venus and I love to experiment in the kitchen, but also realize that baking can be very time-consuming. We recently made a 4-ingredient pie crust with almond flour and it was the easiest recipe we could have imagined. We experimented with different fillings; this crust can go either savory or sweet. Get the recipe here!
Almond flour versus Almond meal: What's the deal?
Flour is the finest grind you can get. Meal is the next finest grind; coarser than flour, less coarse than grits. If you grind almonds too finely, you know what you get? Almond butter.
Natural versus blanched:
The natural meal has the almond skins intact, while the blanched has the skins removed. There is only a slight difference between the two in their nutritional make-up (natural has slightly more vitamin E) and they perform identically in baking.
1. One cup of this flour contains about 90 almonds and provides more than 100 percent of the daily requirement for vitamin E.
2. Eating almonds significantly increases the level of antioxidants in the bloodstream, improves blood flow and reduces blood pressure.
3. Almond consumption can decrease the risk of colon cancer and almonds’ high healthy fat content is related to its anticancer ability.
4. The combination of healthy fats, macronutrients and micronutrients make almond flour an excellent energy booster. The flour contains energy creators like riboflavin, manganese and copper. The riboflavin (vitamin B2) plays an essential role in energy production, red blood cell creation, cellular function, growth and development.
5. Good source of calcium, iron, potassium and magnesium.
I do hope you find some time to get creative in the kitchen. Healthy cooking is the key to longevity and VITAL Health!!
~Dr. Dave, Venus & The OASIS Team
© 2019 Dr. Dave's Food & Wellness, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
This blog is for informational purposes only. It is NOT intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a licensed, qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice.